Newspaper Archive of
The Observer
Rockford, Illinois
August 18, 1961     The Observer
PAGE 1     (1 of 20 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 1     (1 of 20 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
August 18, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of The Observer produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2020. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Ibt cooperation with THE OBSERVER Back-to-School is- sue (see Section II this week), the Very Rev. Raymond J. Wahl, director of the diocesan bureau of education, has given the following statement o~ the developmm~ts in education dur- ing the past year: ROCKFORD-- "Approximate- ly 28.000 children will enter the Catholic schools of the diocese of Rockford Sept. 6. An estima- ted 23.000 of these will be grade school children and 5.000 high school students. On h a n d to greet this small army will be 85 priest teachers, 475 Sisters and 230 lay teachers. Before we begin a new year shall stop for a brief mo- ment to review activities of the past year. In doing this we find that the 1960-61 academic year was an active one in the educa- tional work of the Rockford dio- cese. Building Dedications Probably the most apparent activity was that connected with the building and dedication of new grade and high schools. In Aurora new schools were dedi-iI cated at St. Rita of Casia and iI St. Peter parishes, while a new il one will be dedicated Sunday at! ttoly Angels. In Oregon the new ! St. Mary school was dedicated i At Elgin the new parish of St. Thomas More dedicated its ele- mentary school and the mother parish, St. Laurence, dedicated a large addition to its existing school facilities. Ss. Peter and Paul parish at Cary dedicated a new elementary school, while Holy Cross of Batavia dedica- ted a junior high school. For the Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis of the Im- maculate Conception of t h e Blessed Virgin Mary, who staff their elementary school, the people of St. Patrick parish in Rochelle have completed con- struction of a new convent. Secondary Schools On the secondary school level, Newman Central Catholic high pleased w h e n they return to s c h o o 1 next month. Less notable but just as im- portant were the many educa- tional activities carried on by the teachers and students dur- ing the past year. Reading Program On the elementary school lev- el, teachers met early in the fall to evaluate with a representa- ive from Science Research As- most successful. Over 2,200 chil- dren received awards attesting that they had read an estimated 270,000 books. All the pupils be- came more conscious of the ne- cessity of learning to read well. During the year textbook com- mittees met to discuss the adop- tion of standard texts to be used throughout the diocesan school system. To date reading and :spelling texts have been select- ed. During the coming year a committee will discuss the pos- s i b 1 e adoption of an English text. The ultimate goal is to have all the elementary schools of the diocese use the text which the committees have designated the finest text available. Lay Teachers Next Tuesday there will be a meeting at St. Bernadette par- ish, Rockford, for all lay teach- ers employed in the elementary schools of the diocese. Purpose of the meeting is to make lay teachers more familiar with the g o a 1 to be achieved in our schools. At the same time they will be informed of the require- m e n t s to obtain a diocesan teaching certificate. A possible retirement program will be out- lined to them. All lay teachers to be employed in the diocese this fall are cordially asked to be present. I It was with pride that we no- ted that last spring one of the students from our diocesan schools received a National Mer- it scholarship. ~pproximately 25 others received Illinois State scholarships. More than 1,000 of our students showed their tal- ent at the music festival held at St. Edward high school in Elgin. Youth activities outlined for this coming year will give them additional opportunity to display their intellectual and cultural abilities. As Bishop Lane recently stat- ed, "The clergy and people of the diocese are indeed to be commended for their z e a 1 in providing for the proper reli- gious instruction of our youth." Official Newspaper of the Rockford Diocese Vol. XVI---No. 33 ROCKFORD, AUGUST 18, 1961 20 PAGES the voice, the direction, the guiding hand the right key for @ .I @ .I @ school at Sterling dedicated its new building, while Aquin Cen- Former tral Catholic at Freeport dedi- cated a 1 a r g e addition. The freshmen students at Boylan Central Catholic who completed their first year in one area of the unfinished building will be happy to note that the entire building is now essentially corn- pleted. To provide facilities for the educational, and so- activities of the students at Northern Illinois university, a Catholic student center was dedicated at DeKalb. Future Plans Signs of the future were noted in the fund drives for school ex- pansion at St. Joseph parish in Elgin, and St. Charles Borro- meo in Hampshire. Plans are progressing on the expansion of St. T h o m a s Aquinas grade school in Freeport. An important announcement was made by Bishop Lane last Friday, in which he stated that two new Catholic high schools would be built in Aurora, one for boys and one for girls. When completed, Aurora w i 1 1 have high school facilities capable of accomodating approximately 2,- 000 students. During this past s u m m e r painters and electricians have Ukranian See Is Established For Midwest WASHINGTON--(NC)--A new eparchy (diocese) has been es- tablished for Ukranian Catholics of the Byzantine Rite in the mid- western and western United States. The new eparchy has been given the title of St. Nicholas of the Ukranians in Chicago. Its first Bishop is Msgr. Jaroslav Gabro, pastor of the Church of the Assumption, Perth Ambqy, N.J. The new eparchy includes all of the U.S. west of the line form- ed by the western borders of Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi. In Chicago itself there are some 15,000 Ruthenian-Ukranian Catholics in five parishes. St. Nicholas church there has been designated cathedral of the ep- Bishop-elect Gabro was born Chicago on July 31, 1919, the son of John and Katherine (Ty- musz) Gabro. He studied at grade and high schools there and at St. Procopius seminary, Lisle, Ill.; St. Charles college, Catonsville, Md. ; St. Basil's col- lege, Stamford, Conn.; St. Jo- sephat's seminary and the Cath- olic University of America, Washington, D.C. He was ordain- ed to the priesthood on Sept. 27, 1945. ToU. S. VATICAN CITY --(NC)-- Am- leto Cardinal Cicognani, 78 year old former Apostolic Delegate to the U.S has been named Vati- can Secretary of State and ap- pointed to two other top Vati- can posts. As Secretary of State, Cardi- nal Cicognani succeeds the late Domenico Cardinal Tardini, who died July 30. He is the first pre- late to hold that post who brings to it a wide and detailed know- ledge of the Church in the U.S where he served for 25 years. Two Additional Posts Cardinal Cicognani, who has been serving as Secretary of the Sacred Congregation for the Ori- ental Church, was .also named President of the Pontifical Com- mission for the State of Vatican City, a post which makes him governor of the sovereign state, and president of the Cardinals' Commission for the Administra- tion of the Goods of the Holy See. As president of the Vatican City commission he succeeds the late Nicola Cardinal Canali, who died Aug. 3. ' Cardinal Cicognani's appoint- mere was unusual in that the document naming him was writ- ten entirely in Pope John's hand. It was presented to the Cardinal by Archbishop Antonio Samore, Vatican Secretary of State for Extraordinary Affairs, and Arch- bishop Angelo Dell'Acqua, Sub- stitute Vatican Secretary of State, on the Pope's behalf. May Visit U.S, It is believed here that Cardi- nal Cicognani, despite his new appointment, will return to the U.S. to serve as legate of Pope John at the 4th Inter-American Congress on Christian Doctrine to be held in Dallas, Texas, from Nov. 28 to Dec. 1. If he does, it will be the second time a Vati- can Secretary of State has visit- (Continued on page 3) BISHOP LANE Monday, August 21: 4:00 P.M.--St. Joseph HospJ :al, Belvidere. Dedication of new hospital building. Tuesday, August 22:"~ 10:00 A.M.--St. Peter church Geneva. Ceremony of Religi: ous Reception and Profession. Pontifical Low Mass. In This Issue World News 2:Doris Answers Youth 9 Coming Events 21Legion of Decency 9 Catholic Charities 3'=For Teens Only 10 Meet the Clergy 5[Family Cli.ic 11 Sharing Our Treasure 5~kMay They Rest 11 Mission Column 5 TV Movie Guide 11 Women's Page 8]Theology for Everyman 12 htb Vim: nt'~ Jottings 91Requiescant 12 AIRVIEW OF NEW HOSPITAL -- The new $2V4 million St. Joseph hospital at Belvidere will be dedicated Monday, August 21, by the Most Rev. Loras T. Lane at 4 p.m. with Solemn Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament following the ceremonies. Dinner will be served at 5:15 p.m. The new 100-bed hospital, located just west of the former facilities, is owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Concordia, Kan. (Photo courtesy Cnilen contractor) BELVIDERE -- The new 100- bed St. Joseph hospital here, in operation since July 6th, will be officially opened to the public 'Sunday, August 20. The opening will be marked by flag .dedica- tion ceremonies at I:30 p.m. fol- lowed by an open house until 8:30 p.m. The official dedication of the $21/4 million building will be held Monday, Augus~ 21, at 4 p.m. in a private ceremony conducted by the Most Rev. Loras T. Lane. This ceremony will be followed by a dinner in the hospital cafe- teria for Bishop Lane, and the visiting clergy and religious sis- ters. Sunday ceremonies will take place in front of the new build- ing and will include speeches by the Honorable Lester E. Cun- ningham, mayor; Gordon John- ston, president of the Chamber of Commerce; and Rev. Mother M. Helena of Concvrdia, Kan mother general of the Sisters of St. Joseph, who own and operate the hospital. The Rev. Thomas Lynam, pastor of St. James parish, will then offer a prayer. Others speaking briefly will be Dr. Emerson Kunde of Marengo, president of the hospital staff; Dr. Charles U. Letourneau, Chi- cago, hospital consultant, who aided in designing the new fa- cilities; Dr. Stanley Smith, chairman of the fund drive; and representatives of the J. P. Cul- len Co general contractor for the project; and F. O. Wolfen- barger & Associates, architects from Manhattan, Kan. During the ceremonies special recognition will be given to Sis- ter M. Frederica, hospital ad- ministrator, who was instrumen- tal in the planning, designing, construction, and operation of the new unit. The new hospital, completely air conditioned, is constructed of reinforced concrete with an exterior finish of brick and cer- amic tile. The first floor contains kit- chen, cafeteria, and administra- tive offices, emergency operat- ing room, physical therapy faci- lities and pediatric and chronic nursing units. The second floor provides for the obstetrical department and the surgical and medical nurs- ing units, X-ray, pharmacy and laboratory. In addition, there is included quarters for 26 sisters on the third floor, a chapel on the sec- ond floor and a commons room on the first floor for the sisters. Most notable in the hospital's design is the cloverleaf pattern of the two wings at the rear in which patient rooms are group- ed around a central nursing service. This unique design has creat- ed much interest among hospital architects and as a result a model of the hospital was dis- played in Europe. S AURORA---The new school and convent at Holy Angels parish here will be dedicated at 4 p.m Sunday, August 20, by the Most Rev. Loras T. Lane. Following t h e dedica.tion there will be open house at both buildings from 5 to 6 p.m. and a dinner for approximately 800 persons. The dinner will alsoI mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original school on Locust street. The program for the golden jubilee dinner includes an in- !vocation by the Rt. Rev. Abbot Gerald Benkert, O.S.B of Marmion abbey; short talks by the Honorable Jay L. Hunter, mayor of Aurora; Harold C. Fearn, superintendent of west- side schools; the Rev. Joseph M. Lonergan; William T. Hart, publisher of the Aurora Bea- con News; and the Rt. Rev. Magnus A. Schumacher, dean of Aurora; and the principal address by Bishop Lane. Toastmaster will be Dr, Wil- liam J. WeigeL The Rev. Joseph D. Highland to be assistant at St. Joseph church, Aurora, and to the faculty of Madonna high school. The Rev. Everett J. Hiller to be chaplain of St. Joseph hospital, Belvedere, and to the faculty of Boylan Central Catholic high school. The Rev. Bernard J. Mullane to be assistant at St. Mary church, Freeport. The Rev. Andrew J. Plesa to be assistant at St. Peter church, Rockford. The Rev. James C. Novak, assistant director of the Newman c e n t e r, DeKalb, also to be Ad- ministrator of St. Mary church, Maple Park. The Rev. David J. R o ck to be assistant at St. Peter church, Rockford, and Secretary of the Matrimonial Tribunal. The Rev. James M. Weber to be assistant at St. Joseph church, Elgin. I NEW DIOCESE FOR BISHOP TRACY Of New WASHINGTON--(NC)--Bishop John P. Cody of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Mo has been named Coadjutor Archbishop of New Or- leans with the right of succession to Archbishop Joseph F. Rum- reel. At the same time it was announced that a Diocese of Baton Rouge, La has been established out of territory formerly belong- ing to the New Orleans archdiocese. Auxiliary Bishop Robert E. Tracy of Lafayette La has been named first bishop of the new diocese. The appointment of the bish- ops and the establishment of the new diocese by Pope John were announced here by Arch- bishop Egidio Vagnozzi, Apos- tolic Delegate to the United States. Bishop Cody's appointment brings him, at the age of 53, to the second oldest See in the United States and one rich in Catholic history and tradition. The New Orleans See was es- tablished as a diocese in 1793 and as an archdiocese in 1850. Under the new arrangement it retains 11 parishes (counties) with an area of 7,577 square miles and a population of 1,132,- 600, of whom some 617,961 are Catholics. The archdiocese has almost 500 priests serving 132 parishes and 58 missions. Bishop Cody was born in St. Louis Dec. 24, 1907. He studied at St. Louis preparatory sem- inary and at North American college in Rome, where he re- ceived a doctorate in theology, summa cum laude. He was ordained a priest in Rome Dec. 8, 1931. Following ordination he was named as- sistant to the rector of t h e North American college. In 1933 Father Cody was named to the staff of the Vatican Secretariat of State, where he remained until 1938. Returning to the U. S. in 1938, Father Cody was named secretary to Archbishop John Glennon of St. Louis. He Was elevated to papal chamberlain in 1943 and Domestic Prelate in 1946. In May, 1947, he was named Auxiliary to Archbishop Joseph E. Ritter of St. Louis. In 1954, he was appointed Coadjutor to Bishop Charles H. LeBlond of St. Joseph, Mo. When Bishop LeBlond resign- ed in 1955,Bishop Cody became bishop of St. Joseph. In 1956 he was transferred to the new- ly formed Diocese of Kansas- City -- St. Joseph as Coadju- tor to Archbishop Edwin V. O'Hara. Following Archbishop O'Hara's death, he was en- throned as Bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph in 1956. 9 One wing contains classrooms, a large kindergarten, principal's office, waiting room. library, faculty lounge and nurse's room. The other wing contains a gymnasium, separate locker rooms for boys and girls, a music room, and rooms for Boy and Girl Scout meetings. An English-style basement room. 44 by 88 feet under the gymnasium, is used as a school ealeteria and l~arish haiL