Newspaper Archive of
The Observer
Rockford, Illinois
More Newspaper Titles
January 31, 1943
PAGE 14 OF 48    PREVIOUS  NEXT       Full Size Image
PAGE 14 OF 48    PREVIOUS  NEXT       Full Size Image       January 31, 1943

Newspaper Archive of The Observer produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website 2016. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

Iuvenlr Edition -- Page 6  THE OBSERVER  February, 1943 Guided Rockford Diocese For Fifteen Years ]tis Excellency, the Most Rev Bishop Edward F. Hobart was born in Chicago and received his early training in the parish school of St. Columbkille's church. He gra- duated from St. Ignatius College, Chicago, and then entered St. Mary's seminary, Baltimore, Md. where he pursued his studies in philosophy and theology. He was ordained in the Holy Name Cathedral, Chicago, by the Most Reverend James E. Quigley, D.D., July 11, 190:5, before the altar where he was later to receive his episcopal consecration. His first assignment to parish work was in St. Agnes' church but a short later he was selected by Archbishop Quigley to go to Rome for post-graduate studts. He was awarded the degree of Doctor of Theology at the Gregor- ian University and upon his return to Chicago was appointed assistant chancellor and a professor in Quig- ley Preparatory Seminary. In Jan- uary, 1910, he was made chancellor and hehl that important position until raised to the episcopacy m 1921. Meanwhile in 1917 in recog- nition of his valuable services to the Church, Pope Benedict XV con- ferred the dignity of Domestic Pre- late upon him. On December 21, 1921, the feast of St. Thomas the Apostle, in Holy Name Cathedral, Chicago, Bishop Hoban was consecrated tit- ular bishop of Colonia and auxil- iary bishop of Chicago, by His Em- Inence, George Cardinal Mundelein The co-consecrators were 'the Most Reverend A. J. McGavick, D. D., Bishop of LaCrosse, and the Most Reverend Thomas E. Malloy, D.D. Bishop of Brooklyn. When the See of Rockford was left vacant by the death ef its first Bishop ,the Most Reverend Peter J. Muhloon, D.D., Bishop Itohan was chosen by the Holy Father February 10, 1928, as the second bishop of Rockford. On Tuesday, :May 15, 1928, Bishop Hoban, ac- companied by His Eminence, George Cardimd Mundelein, came to Rockford and was enthroned as Bishop of the diocese. After nearly fifteen years as Chief Shepherd of the Rockford diocese, Bishop Hobart was named on November 17, 1942, by His Holi- ness, Pope Plus XII, to the titular See of Lystra and Coadjutor Bish- op of Cleveland, with the right of future succession. In the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist the apostolic decre granting the rights and faculties opportune and necessary for the proper administration of he Dio- cese was read on January 21, 1943 and Bishop Hoban assumed his new duties in the diocese of Cleveland Linclon Meat Market Butter - EQas - Cheese Quality Meets, Fish and Poultry 1435 Charles St. BL. 2393 ." DR. O. W. WEINSTEIN Optometrist 110 N. Church Street - Ground Floor Forest 6080 Rockford, Illinois CONGRATULATIONS JOHN STREET FOOD MARKET Sll JOHN STREET Phone Main 4107 Rockford, IIh THE SECOND BISHOP OF ROCKFORD The Most Reverend Edward F. ltoban. S.T.D., Appointed February 10, 1928--Transferred Nov. 17, 1942 St. James Pro-Cathedral Rockford, Winnebago County The RE. Rev. Msgr. J. P. McGuire, P.A., pastor, The Rev. Raymond P. Gordon, assistant pastor, 428 No. Second St. The first church in Rockford was completed in 1853 and dedicated in honor of the Apostle St. James. The Rev. John Hampston was first pastor. Prior to that time the Catholics were served by the priests of Hartland and Belvidere. The names of the Rev. George Hamilton and the Rev. Win. Lambert are as- sociated with the early days of St. James. In 1855 Father Lambert opened St. James school which was taught by lay teachers. From 1858 to 1860 the Rev. Thomas Boulger was pastor. He was succeeded by the Rev. John P. Donelon, famous in the annals of the Cathedral par- ish. Father Donelon started the construction of the present St. James Pro-Cathedral. The next pastor was the Rev. Jeremiah S. O'Neill who completed the church building. He was succeeded by the Rev. Thaddeus J. Butler, D.D., who took up his charge in 1876. He built the present St. James rectory. When the present school was open- ed in 1886 there were three teach- ers and eighty-five pupils. The present school building was erected in 1892 and is in abarge of the Dominican Sisters (Sinsinawa.) Parish buildings include the church, rectory, convent and school. St. Anthony of Padua Church Rockford The Very. Rev. Dominic, O.M.C., pastor, The Rev.-Fathers Anastatius, O.M. C., Maurice, O.M.C., Gabriel, O.M. C., and Simon, O.M.C., assistant pastors 1005 Ferguson St. Early in 1909 the Rev. Anthony V. Marchesano came to Rockford to organize a parish for Italian speaking people. The new parish had its birth Palm Sunday, April i12, 1909, When a meeting of the I Italian people of Rockford took !plate in St. James parish hall. Mass was said for the newly organized congregation in the basement of St. Mary's church until the first St. Anthony's church was completed early in 1910. The first school open- cd in September, 1910, under the direction of the Missionaries Fran- :cisean Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, (Rome, Italy.) Father Marchesano died in 1929, and he was succeeded by the Rev. John J. Flanagan. During Father Flan- agan's pastorate a new church and rectory were built. Later the Rev. R. J. Guecione served as pastor until the parish wa. placed under the direction of the Order of :Minor Conventuals. St. Anthony's parish conducts a day nursery and kinder- garten. Parish buildings include the church, rectory, school, convent, and day nursery. CONGRATULATIONS Rockford Florist Supply SOPER'S FLOWERS Office Phone Greenhouse Phone Main 339 Main 2809 221 N. Main St. Rockford, III. We Sell For Less ROCKFORD MALT EXTRACT CO. "SUPER LIQUOR STORE" SEER - LIQUORS - WINES 1007-1009 S. Main St. Rockford, IlL --Greetings-- MODERN WET WASH LAUNDRY CO. 200 PRAIRIE ST. - AT THE RIVER ROCKFORD, ILLINOIS THE FAIR Department Store LADLES' - CHILDREN'S READY-TO-WEAR Infants' Wear -- Boy's Suits 1021 S. MAIN STREET ROCKFORD, ILLINOIS The Feather Touch for New Attractiveness Here's a brand new hoirdress cre- ated for you girls whose war-time jobs demand so much of your time and effort. It's smooth and trim yet adorably feminine. I GOOD COLOR Mrs. Malone  What did your uncle (lie of? Mrs. Flanagan -- Gangrene it was, Mrs. Malone. Mrs. Malone--Thank hivins for 'the color, anyway, Mrs. Flanagan. I - : . : - - : :_: : ................. BLUE ROSE BEAUTY SALON JEAN WINQUISTe Mgr. 1420 N. Main St. Main 645 A Hearty Welcome to Rocktord BISHOP BOYLAN -0- May your reign be happy and frritful .0- ROCKFORD MORNING STAR Rocktord Register.Republic